Monday, September 14, 2015

Fishing Carp and Bass in the Erie Canal, September 14, 2015

If you search "Erie Canal" in my blog, you will find that we have recently discovered this as a great fishing spot (between Dewitt and Fayetteville). We drove past it so many times and thought it was so narrow, it probably only has panfish, and boy were we wrong. The first night we went, I brought my ultralight pole with 4 lb line and caught 5-6 bullheads and lost several other larger fish that broke my line. The next time I brought my medium light pole with 6 lb line (which I have never needed more than this for shore fishing) and lost two very large fish that broke my line. This time we both brought heavy poles with 10-15 lb line and we are glad we did.

We caught our normal assortment of bluegills at first. When we ran out of worms we switched to top water poppers. Two largemouth bass were caught including this big guy.


While we were using worms, I had rigged the poles with #4 hooks (which didn't stop us from catching small fish like I was hoping it would), two split shot spaced about 6 inches apart, and a bobber/float. I caught a decent bullhead on the rig.


But the big catch of the night was a large carp. 






No comments:

Post a Comment