Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Fishing the Erie Canal in Fayetteville, NY, September 22, 2015

From 4 pm -7 pm, I fished the Erie Canal tonight at Manlius Center Road and Green Lakes Road. I got a new underspin spincast reel with ten pound line and attached it to my medium-heavy spinning pole. The reason I wanted an underspin is I love my spinning rod but hate trying to mess with the spinning reel when it is dark out. If you don't have just the right weight lure (which I switch lures a lot) you can get tangles. The rig I set up was a bobber, large split shot about 6 inches above a swivel and a number 4 hook with a canadian nightcrawler. I got a few bluegill and two good sized largemouth bass.


I eventually ran out of worms so I tried a top water popper and didn't get any interest. I switched to a gulp chartreuse crawler and caught a large amount of pumpkinseeds and bluegill. At about 7pm, the fish slowed down in their bites so just for the fun of it, I tied on a fly and caught panfish that were still trying to get flies on the surface. 



No comments:

Post a Comment