Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Fishing for Trout in Butternut Creek, Lafayette, NY, September 24, 2015

I'm not a big trout/stream fisher but I like how beautiful the creeks are when you find a remote spot. Butternut Creek, just South of Jamesville, has several spots like this. Here is a map: http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/r7buttnutpfr.pdf

The first spot I went to was off of Colton Road. It is surrounded by posted signs with a small DEC public parking area and access that really is only good for wading. Next, I went down farther to a strange gravel road off of Apuila Road. I wasn't sure if it was right because it wasn't marked and looked like someone's driveway but down the road is DEC Public parking and fishing access. I had to put in GPS coordinates based on google maps to find it.


There is a bridge where one side is posted and the other is public access. The public access area only leaves room for a couple of people unless you wade or walk down a path farther. 



It was a very beautiful and secluded area but the fishing was annoying. Only small brown trout were biting and they were so small and so many of them that I lost a ton of trout worms without catching fish because they were nipping at the worm as soon as I cast and pulling it off the hook (even with a #8 hook). I did catch a couple of small brown trout.


I brought my four foot, ultralight pole and still had to be careful casting to not get caught up in brush. Now I understand why some people bring ice fishing poles to shore fish creeks. It was a beautiful afternoon and so peaceful being away from people and on the creek.




No comments:

Post a Comment