Saturday, September 5, 2015

Shore Fishing the Jamesville Reservoir, September 5, 2015

The Jamesville Reservoir has accessible fishing at the park area located on the South end and near the dam on the North end. For fishing the North end, I always put the Onondaga County Department of Transportation in the gps and follow the road where it isn't posted. The fishing access area is clearly marked.



Word of caution, it is very weedy near the edges so a float is advised if you want to actually get your lure/hook back. 

I started around 3 pm and was the only one there. By 5 pm on this holiday weekend, the lot was full, mostly of people wanting to swim but not wanting to pay to go to beach inside the park on the South end. First, I started fishing near the dam with no luck. I moved over to a weedy area on a peak shaded by a tree, perfect for fish. I caught a smallmouth bass right away, using a #6 hook with spinner, a split shot, float and worm. 


After that it took about 30-45 in between every bite I got but when I got a bite it was a good one. I got two smallmouth bass and a decent sized bluegill.


Before I left I moved over toward the pooled area but got no hits there. I got a few more small panfish hits before leaving the opposite side of the tree that I had fished earlier. 


No comments:

Post a Comment