Thursday, September 10, 2015

Fishing for Bullheads on the Erie Canal in Fayetteville, NY, September 9, 2015

Tonight we fished the Erie Canal next to the bridge at Manlius Center Road and Green Lakes Road. There is a parking area with historical information and access to the canal path.




I wasn't expecting anything bigger than panfish so I brought my ultralight pole with 4 lb line. I like this pole for areas like this because it is shorter so I don't need the distance in casting and don't worry about getting it caught in trees. I used a small red and white bobber, small split shot, #6 hook and worms.  It is very weedy so you have to find pockets to cast into. At around 7 pm, we got several hits of small bluegill and pumpkinseeds.


I moved over near the trees and something larger, I thought maybe a bass, broke my line. As it got darker a woman came out of one of the houses and chatted with us about the history of the Erie Canal and told us to try fishing the Limestone Aquaduct, which was about a half a mile walk from where we were on the canal trail. As soon as it got dark, we started catching bullheads. We stayed a couple of hours and caught about 5-6 good sized bullheads.


I lost a total of four larger fish, all breaking my ultralight line. So, I walked to the car and got my medium pole. Sadly, it is so much harder to detect hits. For our next trip, I'll be switching my ultralight pole to 6 lb line so I can continue to use it on the canal but not lose larger fish or bullheads that fight hard like these did. 



No comments:

Post a Comment