Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Fishing Nine Mile Creek, Marcellus, NY, September 21, 2015

Two of us went fishing at Nine Mile Creek, one fly fishing, one worm fishing, both had a great time. There are several pull offs between Camillus and Marcellus but we went to areas with shore access since I was not wading in. Here is a map of the creek with access points: http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/r7ninempfr.pdf.  First we went to near where Route 174 and Martisco Road meet. Most of the people we met were fly fishing but we met a man at this location that was using a spinning rod. We headed down near the bridge and started there.


I brought one of my favorite poles that I can only use for creek fishing or panfish, my shakespeare ultralight spincast with 4lb line. I put on a small bobber, a couple of small splitshot spaced about 6 inches apart, swivel, #8 hook, and trout worm. I found a nice ledge to let the worm slide over and under the rocks below the rapids. 


We didn't get any bites even though the man we met along the way had a few brown trout on his stringer. We drove a little farther south on 174 to the next parking area with shore access. I found a beautiful ledge where I could cast my bait into the rapids to my right and it was carried right under the shelf. I had to remove the bobber to do this other wise it just continued to float right past the shelf. 

I haven't trout fished in years so I was thrown off by the small bites (I'm used to panfish sucking on the worm and nipping at the bobber a bit before being ready to set the hook) so I missed a few opportunities to set the hook. When I set the hook right away, I pulled up a sucker.


We met a couple of other people that were fly fishing that said someone caught a 16 inch trout out from under the ledge the night before. We did not catch any trout but witnessed a beautiful jump for a fly by a trout.








No comments:

Post a Comment