Monday, August 17, 2015

Shore Fishing at Green Lakes State Park in Fayetteville, August 17, 2015

Today I went fishing at Green Lakes again (previous posts have a map available).


I started around 2 pm with my Mitchell 310 light spinning combo with 6 lb monofilament, a weighted (to cast farther) balsa float, split shot, #6 hook with spinner and beads (I have been avoiding #8 hooks even for panfish because I've had a lot of swallowed hooks lately), and a salted minnow. Shortly after I caught a nice juvenile largemouth bass. It gave a nice jump as I reeled it in, was very feisty, even got itself off the hook for me.

I tried for about another hour with salted minnows and got no more bites. I switched to worms and caught a couple of decent pumpkinseeds and was thrilled the #6 was not swallowed. I have only recently been using floats/bobbers and with them on, you can't feel the bites and have to rely on sight and bobber movement. Different fish do different things with the bobber. A bass will take it under in one swoop and a pumpkinseed sucks the worm in so I've had the bobber go completely under and pulled the worm right out of its mouth because it hasn't reached the hook yet. 

One of the neat things about Green Lakes is the water is so clear you can see the fish and at about 4-5 pm, small-medium sized pumpkinseeds come up to the shallow water right in front of you. Today is the first day I've gotten a decent picture of them.





No comments:

Post a Comment