Saturday, August 15, 2015

Shore Fishing the Oneida River under Route 481, August 15, 2015

Today we went to a place I have been looking for for a while. I read about it online once and every time I drove over 481 as it crosses the Oneida River I looked for it. I could never find it because it is directly below 481 and you can only access it from Bonstead Road in Clay, NY.


It is primarily used as a public boat launch but there are plenty of areas to shore fish. 


The water was very mucky and weedy so I used my 7 foot Mitchell 300 series spinning light pole with 6 lb line, a fixed oval float, split shot, #6 hook with beads and spinner, and worm. Caught a pumpkinseed right away at a drop off just past the weedy area.


I continued to catch fish fairly rapidly. 

White Bass

baby Perch

The goby were clearly in this area and kept grabbing our worms and diving for ledges forcing us to break our lines and lose gear. We caught one goby. I have mentioned in other posts this invasive non-native fish. After a lull from hits I switched to a Mr. Crappie #6 aberdeen hook and got a big bluegill right away. Every time I sent out the worm, I jigged it a bit as I reeled it in and this seemed to catch the attention of this large variety of fish. 


After losing a few more worms and hooks, we called it a day.




No comments:

Post a Comment