Monday, August 24, 2015

Shore Fishing the Oneida River under Route 481, August 24, 2015

Today we went back to Bonstead Road under Route 481 to shore fish. We caught literally the same variety of fish we did last time but two large bluegills instead of one.


I started with my Mitchell 310 light action seven foot spinning combo with six pound line, a thill weighted spring float, split shot, #6 hook with spinner, and a worm. I caught a white bass right away. Several failed attempts after to set the hook when the bobber went under, I switched to a #8 hook with spinner (these are hard to find, I found mine handmade on ebay) and a non-weighted float. I caught a pumpkinseed right away followed by a small perch.



A Note on Floats: The advantage of the weighted float is you can throw it farther, the disadvantage is smaller fish like panfish can feel it when they tug on it and it isn't as sensitive as the the regular floats. I tend to use the weighted floats for bass. I think the reason the weighted bobber was going under and I couldn't set it is a panfish was sucking in the worm and I yanked it out of its mouth before it reached the hook. That is the difficulty. If the panfish doesn't play with it first telling you it is a panfish, you may think it is a bass and want to set the hook as soon as the bobber goes under. 

Shortly after this, I switched to a non-spinner Mr. Crappie #6 aberdeen hook to see if the more natural look of the worm made a difference. It did. I pulled up two fighting, large bluegill. They gave a great fight.


We ended as the sun went down and those nasty mosquitoes came out and gobies started stealing our worms.






No comments:

Post a Comment