Saturday, August 1, 2015

Shore Fishing the Oswego River Lock in Phoenix, July 30, 2015

Even though the lock walls in Phoenix are filled with goose poop, it is still one of our favorite places to go. We have caught and seen everything here: Black Bass, Rock Bass, White Bass, Gar, Bowfin, Bullheads, Channel Catfish, Bluegills, and now Perch. Tonight we caught a young SM Bass, Rock Bass, and a perch.



The only difficulty I had tonight was setting the hook. I never have problems with this but I was using a new 7 foot medium action spinning rod with 10 lb line, which I know is a lot for smaller fish but it is what I normally use, with the exception of my previous pole being only 6 feet. I'm not sure if it was the rod's lack of sensitivity or that I was getting so many nibbles and every time I tried to set the hook, I just pulled the bait away from it, so I started waiting longer to set the hook. In either case, I'm going to look into getting a medium/light rod with 6-8 lb line.

No comments:

Post a Comment