Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Shore Fishing at Labrador Pond, August 25, 2015

Labrador Pond is located within the Labrador Unique Hollow near Tully, New York.


There is a beautiful dock that stretches out into the pond. It is next to a no motor boat launch and is fishing accessible. 


The difficulty is it is VERY weedy, fairly shallow (about 4 feet) and full of lily pads. Perfect for bass hiding but horrible for any kind of lure. I tried walk the dog and popper top lures and barely got them back (one nice popper I didn't get back). I even tried a Lindy No-Snag Sinker rig and barely got that back. 


I moved to the entrance of the pond into the boardwalk area where it was still weedy but no lily pads and switched to a #6 hook with spinner, small split shot, and Thill spring float. I got a lot of hits from panfish so I switched to the smaller #8 hook with spinner.


I started catching small pumpkinseeds, bluegills, and perch.


Several Kayakers told us they saw big largemouth bass. I have no doubt there were many hiding under the lily pads. It was an amazingly beautiful place and worth the trip even if we only caught small panfish.







No comments:

Post a Comment